While summer is definitely my favorite season, one perk of colder weather that I can’t deny is being able to break out the slow cooker! I particularly like this burrito bowl recipe because:
- It’s easily customizable – by setting up a toppings bar, everyone can make their meal to their liking. Plus, you can serve it over rice, lettuce, or as a taco or burrito.
- It’s simple – no cooking or browning anything, just add the ingredients and go!
- The timing works out great for a workday – I put the ingredients in before I leave the house, and I can shred the chicken, add the corn and beans, and microwave my frozen brown rice when I get home. By the time I’ve gotten out my toppings and set the table, it’s heated through and ready to eat.
Slow-Cooker Burrito Bowls
- Serves: 6-8
- 1 pound frozen chicken breasts or tenders
- 1 (15-ounce) can no salt added diced tomatoes
- ½ cup water or low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (15-oz) can no salt added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- Brown rice, tortillas, or shredded lettuce for serving
- Shredded cheese
- Shredded lettuce
- Sour cream
- Combine the chicken, diced tomatoes and their juices, water, chili powder, salt, and cumin in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Shred chicken with 2 forks and add corn and beans. Cook on low until heated through, about 30 minutes.
- Serve over brown rice, shredded lettuce, or in a tortilla. Add toppings as desired.
No information on this site should be used to diagnose, treat, prevent or cure any disease or condition.