Happy National Dark Chocolate Day! Did you know that dark chocolate has several unique health benefits? Dark chocolate that contains at least 70% cocoa is a rich source of antioxidants and several other compounds. These compounds have been shown to reduce blood pressure, improve insulin sensitivity, and even help decrease inflammation. While dark chocolate has several benefits towards our health, it is also a tasty treat.
At Lemond Nutrition, we believe that snacks are an important part of a balanced diet. Just like we want to maximize the nutrition that comes from our meals, we want to follow the same pattern for snacks. To create a balanced snack, we suggest pairing a carbohydrate source, such as fruits, veggies, or popcorn, with a protein source, such as mixed nuts, Greek yogurt, or hummus.
To celebrate National Dark Chocolate Day give this simple and tasty trailmix a try!
Sweet and Savory Trail Mix
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Serves: 5 (1 cup serving)
- 4 cups popped popcorn
- 1 cup mixed nuts
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Prepare popcorn according to package directions or use a pre-popped option from the store
- Allow popcorn to stand for 5 minutes to cool.
- Once popcorn is cooled, toss all of the ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Store popcorn in an airtight container, or pack single serve portions of the snack and store for a grab-and-go option.
- TIP: For extra flavor, consider adding dried fruit like cranberries or cherries into the mix!
No information on this site should be used to diagnose, treat, prevent or cure any disease or condition.