Food can (and should!) be both nourishing AND exciting! We don't have to sacrifice one to have the other. One of the things I love most is to challenge others and myself to step out of traditional taste comfort zones, pairing nourishing foods together that create a whole new flavor combination!
Take these go-to breakfast staples as an example. Eggs, oatmeal and side a fruit... nourishing, simple and tasty on their own. Now take these simple items off the beaten path and create a breakfast that will blow your tastebuds away! I introduce Eggy Oats... a brekfast powerhouse. The recipe below is simple enough for an every day breakfast option and tasty enough to be the talk of your Holiday Brunch!
Eggy Oats with Caramelized Onion-Apple Relish
Yield: 1 serving
For Caramelized Onion-Apple Relish:
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup thinly sliced onion
1 cup diced apple
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme, optional
1/4 teaspoon fresh sage, optional
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/4 teaspoon salt
Pomegranate arils, optional
To make Caramelized Onion-Apple Relish:
- Melt butter in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, apple, and sugar to melted butter.
- Cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes or until onions and apples are caramel-colored and fragrant. Stir in salt, thyme and sage (if using).
- Set aside and keep warm.
To make Oats:
- Heat milk in a small saucepan until just simmering. Add rolled oats and cook, stirring frequently with a wire whisk, for 2-3 minutes.
- Add lightly beaten egg to oat mixture in a very slow pour, while stirring oats constantly with a wire whisk.
- Cook an additional 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, until desired consistency is achieved.
- Stir in salt.
- Transfer oats to a bowl. Top with 2 tablespoons of Caramelized Onion-Apple Relish. (Chill remaining Relish for up to a week.) Top with pomegranate arils, if desired.